Red wine - 75cl bottle - AOC Cornas
This is his classic wine. The oldest of the Domain’s wines, it was created during the 1970s to highlight the long-standing family vineyard. Vines for this wine are located in the heart of the appellation, facing those he first replanted. Les Vieilles Vignes is a wine that reflects Alain Voge's saga and his winemaking know-how.
Situated on slopes at an altitude of approximately 200 metres, facing South-South-East, the vines of his classic wine are on average 60 years old. Their roots delve deep down into old, worn granite rock, called gores locally.
OUR VINE GROWING AND WINEMAKING
• Organic certification for the vines and wine in the 2014 vintage
• Syrah vines trained and pruned in the Gobelet style and supported by stakes.
• Hand-picked harvests.
• Partial destemming with 20 % whole grapes.
• Fermentation with natural yeasts and maceration for several weeks in stainless steel vats, with cap-punching and pumping-over done twice a day.
• Maturation in 228-litre barrels for 20 months, with 15% to 20% new barrels.
• Amount of sulphite reduced: 44 mg/l total SO2 (100 mg/litre authorised in organic winemaking).
• Ageing potential: 20 years.
THE DISH :
Hare à la Royale
“Game in general, and especially hare, is the kind of meat that pairs ideally with the Cornas wine made by Mr Voge.
I suggest this version of Hare à la Royale: the saddle stuffed with foie gras and a stewed preparation thickened with blood and the rest of the animal.
After a few years of ageing, Cornas Vieilles Vignes is a great match for this dish with its hints of leather, pepper and distinct, delicate tannins.”
THE CHEF :Thomas Ponson, at the “Thomas” restaurant, Lyon 2e